19 Support Small Business Quotes to Inspire You to Shop Local
We all need a little inspiration sometimes. Especially when it comes to shopping local in the age of ecommerce retailers and department store megaliths.
Small businesses generally offer one-of-a-kind, high-quality products you can’t find anywhere else. So, when you shop from them, you shop from your heart.
Among other things, social media is also a meeting place for small business owners and their customers. Memes, Tumblr, and Instagram can help micro-retailers find their tribe and stay inspired.
Whether you own a small business, want to own one, or just need that extra push to shop local, here’s a collection of the best inspirational quotes for your needs. These are from some of the most legendary entrepreneurs, inventors, and authors of all time. Let’s take a look!
Support small business, #shoplocal, and shop small quotes
Building a small business from scratch and maintaining momentum isn’t easy. But it’s still one of the best things you can do to support your community. It’s like that viral support small business quote from an anonymous author:
1. “When you buy from a small business, an actual person does a little happy dance.”
We’re entering a new era of DIY, driven by creators on social media. Small businesses are popping up to cater to the demand for craft supplies. Nicole Snow is the founder and CEO at Darn Good Yarn. Snow’s company has saved more than 1,000,000 pounds of leftover manufacturing material from ending up in landfills.
Darn Good Yarn turns the material into handmade yarn and craft supplies. Snow exemplifies the great service a small business can do for the environment and to support the local community. She says:
2. “A small business is an amazing way to serve and leave an impact on the world you live in.”
Many micro retailers are finding success through selling on Etsy and on social media. American Express offers great resources for small business owners through Small Business Saturday.
AmEx offers free “shop local” stickers and doormats, and even gives customers extra rewards points on local purchases. It’s a great free way to boost your business in your local community.
The following anonymous quotes beautifully demonstrate the difference we can make by supporting local businesses.
3. “When you support handmade you are not just supporting a person, small business, family, our economy; you are purchasing a small part of an artist’s heart.”
4. “Every small purchase makes a big difference.”
5. “When you buy from a small business you’re not helping a CEO buy a third vacation home. You are helping a little girl get dance lessons, a little boy his team jersey, a mom put food on the table, a dad pay a mortgage or a student pay for college.”
6. “If each of us spent $100 a year more on local businesses instead of chain stores, it would put an extra $3 million a year into our economy, not only that but it would create thousands more jobs.”
Small business reputation quotes for small business owners
Love them or hate them, Amazon is one of the biggest small business marketplaces in the retail industry. Washington Post reports that small- and medium-sized sellers in the US made more than $160,000, on average, in product sales on Amazon in 2019. Merchants also sold 3.4 billion products during the period, up from 2.7 billion in the previous year.
So, we couldn’t compile a list of the best support small business quotes without a quote from Amazon founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos:
7. “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.”
If Amazon has mastered one thing, it’s building a reputation for consistency. This is what keeps customers coming back to Prime again and again for essential purchases. Amazon set the tone for the shipping and delivery expectations that customers have today. In this respect, they are trailblazers that can serve as inspiration for startup owners.
It all comes down to building an experience that’s worth writing home about. As Jeff Bezos says:
8. “If you do build a great experience, customers tell each other about that. Word-of-mouth is very powerful.”
Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motor Company was also an advocate for adopting a service-oriented business strategy. He famously said:
9. “It has been thought that business existed for profit. That is wrong. Business exists for service.”
Inspirational quotes for small business owners on getting started
Napoleon Hill was a speaker, teacher, and author of “Think and Grow Rich” and many other titles. He was renowned for his forward-thinking business strategies. He had a great ability to inspire entrepreneurs and he is still quoted by bloggers today. Here are some of his best quotes on getting started and making your dreams a reality:
10. “Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard at it.”
11. “Do not wait: the time will never be ‘just right’. Start where you stand, and work whatever tools you may have at your command and better tools will be found as you go along.”
12. “There is a difference between WISHING for a thing and being READY to receive it. No one is ready for a thing, until he believes he can acquire it. The state of mind must be BELIEF, not mere hope or wish. Open-mindedness is essential for belief.”
Of course, it takes more than just belief to get a business up and running. The sales process is an essential part of the puzzle. Zig Ziglar was an extraordinary salesman, author, and motivational speaker. Here are his insights on selling strategy:
13. “Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.”
14. “Selling is something we do for our clients – not to our clients.”
Motivational quotes for small business owners on perseverance
If there’s one thing inventors understand, it’s how to hunker down and get to business. When the going gets tough, these motivational quotes from inventors and forward-thinkers will help you stay the course.
Thomas Edison is one of the most well-known inventors of all time. (Yes, he’s best known for the lightbulb.)
In reality, Edison was a man who never quit. He amassed 1,093 U.S. patents and 2,332 patents worldwide during his lifetime. He continues to inspire and motivate forward thinkers today. Edison has some great advice on perseverance:
15. “Nearly every man who develops an idea works it up to the point where it looks impossible, and then he gets discouraged. That’s not the place to become discouraged.”
Next on our list of support small business quotes is business heavyweight Sir Richard Branson. He is best known for founding the Virgin Group, which controls more than 400 companies. He is an inspiration for those who want to use entrepreneurship to create positive global change. He famously said:
16. “A big business starts small.”
17. “As much as you need a strong personality to build a business from scratch, you also must understand the art of delegation. I have to be good at helping people run the individual businesses, and I have to be willing to step back. The company must be set up so it can continue without me.”
And last but not least on our list is Steve Jobs. Jobs was co-founder, chairman, and CEO of Apple. Without him, we wouldn’t have the smartphone or the accessible, intuitive technologies that shape the world as we know it.
Jobs didn’t just cater to customer demand; he invented that demand. Here are his thoughts on invention and resilience for business owners:
18. “You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.”
19. “I’m convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance.”
Hopefully, this list of support small business quotes gives you the inspiration you need to shop local. Or invent an amazing product. Or open a local business. Or overcome that big business hurdle to get back to the fun stuff.
Small businesses give the retail industry the diversity and authenticity that all shoppers crave. So, keep pushing forward and stay innovative. There are always rewards on the other side!
You can also give your small business an added boost by choosing the right payment processing services provider. Contact us today to learn how Payment Depot can help your business save up to $800 in credit card processing fees every month.